Case Researcher/Case Researcher Intermediate/Case Researcher Senior
Company: University of Virginia
Posted on: May 11, 2022
The University of Virginia Darden School of Business seeks
applications from highly qualified individuals to join our team as
a Case Researcher, Case Researcher Intermediate, or Case Researcher
Senior. The incumbent for any level, will independently manage the
process to translate broadly defined teaching needs (as defined by
the faculty) into completed deliverables. This generally will
result in high quality teaching materials to be used in the Darden
classroom and marketed externally. In addition, these roles will
develop technical notes which analyze relevant research and
translate this information into frameworks, models, etc. The
incumbent will also work with the faculty author to develop
teaching notes detailing how the material could be taught in a
non-Darden classroom. Candidates with an economics and/or public
policy background are encouraged to apply.
This position may work either on-site in Charlottesville, VA or
To be considered for a Case Researcher:
Specific duties and responsibilities:
Produce new and revised business school cases. Work with Case
Writing Research Group to manage the process to translate broadly
defined teaching needs into a completed deliverable. Elements of
this process typically include:
* Meet with teaching faculty to understand case purpose, theme,
* Research business concepts to be illustrated in the case in order
to incorporate them into the case.
* Conduct research using databases to obtain background financial,
industry and other relevant information to develop the case.
* Manage interviews with company executives, obtain relevant
internal company documents to support the case.
* Write and coordinate case drafts and create exhibits for review
and approval by sponsoring faculty member.
* Lead final review, editing, and approval for case release.
* Write case abstract and publishing house metadata
* Interface with Darden Business Publishing to edit and publish the
Produce new teaching notes:
* Draft teaching notes.
* Create teaching note exhibits.
* Attend class when the case is taught and gather materials to
prepare completed teaching note.
* Interface with Darden Business Publishing to edit and publish the
Produce new technical notes:
* Collect and analyze relevant research on framework, model,
hypothesis or theory for note.
* Articulate research conclusions and add anecdotal examples to the
In addition to the above, Case Researcher Intermediate incumbents
* Submit cases to national and international case research
conferences and competitions
* Prepare case material to fit organization's format.
* Attend meetings and present material.
* Develop relationships with case writers worldwide.
In addition to the above, Case Researcher Senior incumbents will
* Mentor new case researchers. Work to onboard and coach new
members of the case writing research group. Participate in their
skill development and relationship building across the
* Conduct case writing research workshops
* Curriculum development
* Collaborate with faculty on course design and identify
new/revised cases that would meet the course objective.
* Develop plan and timing to create new cases and other teaching
material to be integrated into the course.
* As appropriate, participate in teaching meetings.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities for all levels:
* Critical thinking and ability to write clearly while meeting
* Knowledge of industry expertise, business school curriculum,
and/or areas of interest to Darden faculty preferred.
* Background in economics and/or public policy preferred.
* Ability to collect and aggregate data with strong statistical
* Excellent written and oral communication.
* Literacy about business issues.
* Research capability to access business data bases and other
public sources to extract financial information and other relevant
* Knowledge of business concepts and principles.
* Proficiency in the use of technology, and Office and statistical
software to generate data and develop charts, tables, and other
* Ability to work in an unstructured environment and collaborate
* Ability to communicate and interact with senior business
executives and faculty from around the world.
Required education and experience:
* Bachelor's degree in business, finance, economics, or social
science field. Three years of similar research and/or writing
experience or significant work experience in business
Case Researcher Intermediate:
* Advanced degree in business, finance, economics, or social
science field with one year of similar research and/or writing
experience or significant work experience in business required.
Bachelor's degree with five years of experience in business,
finance, economics, or social science field will also
Case Researcher Senior:
* Master's degree in business, finance, economics, or social
science field with five years of similar research and/or writing
experience required. PhD degree in business, finance, economics or
social science field with three years of experience or significant
work experience will also be considered.
This is an Exempt level, benefited position. For more information
on the benefits at UVA, visit hr.virginia.edu/benefits.
This position will remain open until filled. The University will
perform background checks on all new hires prior to employment.
Please apply through Workday, and search for R0035719. Internal
applicants must apply through their UVA Workday profile by
searching 'Find Jobs'. Complete an application online with the
* Cover letter
Upload all materials into the resume submission field, multiple
documents can be submitted into this one field. Alternatively,
merge all documents into one PDF for submission. Applications that
do not contain all required documents will not receive full
For questions about the application process, please contact Ashley
Cochran, Senior Recruiter at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about UVA and the Charlottesville community
please see http://www.virginia.edu/life/charlottesville and
COVID Vaccination Requirement and Guidelines
Please visit the UVA COVID-19 Job Requirements and Guidelines
webpage prior to applying for current information regarding
vaccination requirements---and---guidelines for employment at
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which
represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing,
UVA Physician's Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library,
are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and
staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through
every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal
opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital
status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race,
religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran
status, and family medical or genetic information.
Keywords: University of Virginia, Charlottesville , Case Researcher/Case Researcher Intermediate/Case Researcher Senior, Accounting, Auditing , Charlottesville, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!