Company: University of Virginia
Posted on: January 4, 2022
Job location: Charlottesville, VA Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-12-17 Req: R0030730 The Karsh Institute of
Democracy at the University of Virginia (Karsh Institute) seeks a
dynamic and collaborative communications director. The new
public-facing, pan-university institute is designed to project the
Universitys commitment to democracy and help strengthen democratic
institutions, practices, and culture. Reporting to the Executive
Director, the Karsh Institutes communications director will be
charged with crafting the overall communications, branding, and
storytelling strategy in close partnership with the Executive
Director and the senior leadership team. Consistent with the
Universitys goal to be great and good, the Karsh Institute will
articulate, support, and sustain values fundamental to democratic
society while envisioning and helping to create a future when
democracys aspirations and reality are one. The Communications
Director will play a critical role developing, translating, and
communicating the associated ideas, programs, and research and
policy innovations in a clear and compelling way. The
communications director will provide recommendations on content
ideas, publications, content platform integration, and
opportunities that advance the Karsh Institutes reach. The director
will also work across the University to coordinate with other
democracy-related centers, programs, faculty, and students to find
synergies, and create opportunities for engagement and impact.Job
- Be a key member of the Karsh Institute leadership team.
- Work closely with the Executive Director to create the overall
- Lead a variety of large-scale marketing and communications
activities on high-impact programs both on and off Grounds.
- Hire, supervise and develop communications and events
- Translate organizational goals into achievable plans,
operationalizing desired outcomes and coordinating with other staff
- Develop and manage high-profile web and promotional content,
maintaining social media presence and the KIOD website. Raise the
reputation and brand of the University and the Institute through
- Lead design of compelling and attractive collateral pieces,
tailor written copy to specific audiences, including prospective
donors, current funders, and new thought partners and stakeholders.
Proofread and edit to maintain established University style
- Direct external vendors and agencies on specific projects and
events, where appropriate.
- Works with Director of Programming to design and organize
events. Public events include speaker series, debates, and national
and international convenings.
- Work collaboratively and effectively with pan-University
organizations and individuals focused on democracy to find
synergies and unique opportunities to elevate this work
- Develop and build impactful media partnerships to amplify the
work of the Institute.
- In addition to the above job responsibilities, other duties may
be assigned.REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- A Bachelor's degree in English, communications, public
relations or related field is required
- At least 8 years of experience in digital communications,
marketing, journalism, writing, public relations, cause-related
advertising or campaigns or a related position is required.
- Or a masters degree plus 6 years relevant experience is
- Proven experience in developing communication strategies for
private sector or non-profit sector organizations.
- Proven experience deftly leading a team of highly motivated,
mission-driven staff members.
- Experience in higher education marketing and communications,
and fundraising-development related communications is
- Must have the ability to write in the voice of the
organization, and to work independently and as part of a team.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects in a complex
- Track record of demonstrating a high degree of initiative,
flexibility and will have the skills to shape and be shaped by an
evolving initiative program.
- Thoughtful, transparent, and exceptionally collaborative with a
service leader mindset.
- Supportive of a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work
environment.The anticipated hiring range for this position is $130K
- $140K commensurate with qualifications and experience.Preference
will be given to applications received by January 3, 2022 though
the position is open until filled.The selected candidate will be
required to complete a background check at time of offer per
University Policy.To Apply:Please apply through Workday, and search
for R0030730. Internal applicants must apply through their UVA
Workday profile by searching 'Find Jobs'. Complete an application
online with the following documents:
- Cover letter
- A writing sampleUpload all materials into the resume submission
field (multiple documents can be submitted into this one field).
Alternatively, merge all documents into one PDF for submission.
Applications that do not contain all required documents will not
receive full consideration.For questions about the application
process, please contact Ashley Cochran, Senior Recruiter at . For
more information about UVA and the Charlottesville community please
see http://www.virginia.edu/life/charlottesville and .For more
information on the benefits at UVA, visit . COVID Vaccination
Requirement Please prior to applying for current information
regarding vaccination requirements for employment at UVA.The
University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which
represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing,
UVA Physicians Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library,
are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and
staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through
every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal
opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital
status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race,
religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran
status, and family medical or genetic information.
Keywords: University of Virginia, Charlottesville , Communications Director, Executive , Charlottesville, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!