Research Associate in Pharmacology (Abbott Lab)
Company: The Rector & Visitors of the University of Virgini
Posted on: November 19, 2021
The University of Virginia is currently seeking a Research
Associate (post-doc) in the lab of Dr. Stephen Abbott at the
University of Virginia School of Medicine. The Abbott lab studies
the neural control of the cardiovascular and respiratory system.
Through genetic and molecular approaches, we investigate how the
brain processes information related to changes in tissue perfusion
and oxygenation, and uses this information to regulate vital
functions like breathing and heart rate. More information on the
work of the lab can be found on their website:
We are targeting curious, self-driven candidates who are passionate
about basic scientific research. The successful candidate will
perform independent research with the goal of providing preparatory
training for a career as a scientific professional.
- Perform experiments using state-of-the-art neuroscience
approaches, such as optogenetics, in-vivo imaging, behavioral
analysis, mouse genetics, and measurements of autonomic
- Work efficiently and cooperatively to assist other lab members
- Participate in laboratory meetings and read literature
applicable to the research area.
- Help with lab organization, including accurate documentation
and recording/maintenance of data files.
- Assist with other support duties relating to lab management and
operations as required.
- The candidate must hold a doctoral degree with a background in
systems neuroscience evidenced by publications in peer-reviewed
- Prior experience working in a wet lab and comfort handling and
- Self-motivated and able to perform complex tasks effectively
and independently with general instruction.
- Ability to work both independently and as a team member while
engaged in collaborative studies.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Exemplary organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to follow instruction with an eagerness to learn, grow
professionally, and be mentored.
- Actively seeks opportunities to increase skills and
- Full-time research or scholarship at the University.
- Preparatory for a full-time academic or research career
- Supervised by a senior scholar, and allows the appointee to
publish the results of his/her research or scholarship
- In addition to the above job responsibilities, other duties may
The selected applicant will be required to complete a background
check and health screen prior to their first day of employment per
PROCESS FOR INTERNAL UVA APPLICANTS: Please apply through your
Workday Home page, search "Find Jobs", and search for "R".
PROCESS FOR EXTERNAL APPLICANTS: Please visit UVA job board , and
search for "R"
Complete an application online and attach:
- Cover Letter detailing your interest in this position
- Contact Information for three references
***Please note that you MUST upload ALL documents into the
Applications that do not contain all of the required documents will
not receive full consideration.***
For questions about the application process please contact Rhiannon
O'Coin, Senior Academic Recruiter,
COVID Vaccination Requirement
The University of Virginia expects all current and new employees
(UVA Health System and Academic), to be vaccinated against
If hired to work within the University Health System, you will be
required to provide proof of vaccination or be willing to receive
the vaccination. Employees may request a medical or religious
exemption from vaccination.
If hired to work on the Academic side of the University, excluding
the School of Medicine, School of Nursing, UPG, and the Health
Systems Library, you will be required to provide proof of
vaccination or be willing to submit to mandatory, weekly prevalence
testing. Employees that are working 100% remotely will not be
subject to weekly prevalence testing; however, if the employee
works on UVA Grounds (including the Medical Center) even
intermittently, then they are required to be tested for COVID-19
once per week on an indefinite basis and follow masking
NOTE: Some medical and safety-sensitive positions require
vaccination and are not eligible for an exemption. For more
information on how the vaccination and testing requirements will
apply to you at your work location, see the UVA New Hire
Vaccination Requirements webpage.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which
represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing,
UVA Physician's Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library,
are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and
staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through
every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal
opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital
status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race,
religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran
status, and family medical or genetic information.
Keywords: The Rector & Visitors of the University of Virgini, Charlottesville , Research Associate in Pharmacology (Abbott Lab), Healthcare , Charlottesville, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!