Staff Software Engineer
Posted on: July 10, 2019
Internal Position Title Staff Software Engineer 12-Jun-2019
Recruiter Toya Carter-Williams Division Description ENSCO's ATE
Division is recognized globally as a leading provider of railway
infrastructure inspection technology. Our products and services are
provided to governments and railways in more than 12 countries on
five continents. ENSCO work helps prevent train derailments and has
a significant impact on the protection of human life, the
environment and the economy. Our team of more than 145 staff
supports leading-edge technology projects in many exciting areas:
- Sensor systems integration: inertial, positioning (GPS/RFID),
laser scanners, imaging (line scan, area scan, thermal),
ultrasonic, ground penetrating radar, LIDAR
- Autonomous deployment of sensors, positioning systems and
wireless communications on active rail cars to inspect
- Machine vision algorithm development to detect conditions
traditionally inspected by humans
- Enterprise web-based data management systems to display, report
and conduct big data analytics ENSCO's ATE Division is an exciting
place to work and grow with many key benefits for technical staff,
- "Innovation Fridays:" Staff is given time to create and
experiment with new processes, best practices, and technologies in
- Involvement in all levels of the design and development
process: Significant experience is gained that is not always
available at larger companies that typically reserve serious
engineering tasks for more seasoned staff.
- Direct exposure to customer management, financial management
and business development. Working in ENSCO's Rail Division provides
a means to acquire a wide range of practical skills and experience
in a short period of time, work on exciting and ground-breaking
technology projects that impact transportation safety and offers
domestic and international travel opportunities if desired. ENSCO
provides a stimulating, collaborative, multi-discipline environment
with coworkers from diverse technical and cultural backgrounds
working together to make the world a safer place. Come join a
stable and growing company and experience the reward of seeing the
results of your work make a real impact on solving some of the
world's most challenging problems.Req ID 1641BR Employment Status
Regular Full-time General Education/Years of Experience BS or
equiv; min 7 yrs related exp Drug Screen Type None Security
Clearance Level No Clearance Requirement Location Charlottesville,
VA Industry Job Title Lidar Software Engineer Background Check Type
7 year Job Description ENSCO is seeking a LiDAR Software Engineer
to lead the development of new LiDAR geospatial products and solve
GIS and LiDAR problems for our visual mapping and localization
products. ENSCO is on the cutting-edge of rail inspection
technology, providing industry-leading advanced solutions to the US
and international surface transportation markets. You are equal
parts LiDAR geospatial analyst and software engineer. You are
someone who brings a good mix of geospatial and LiDAR subject
matter expertise with in-depth programming and engineering skills.
You are excited by the prospect of learning and implementing new
algorithms to improve classification workflows. Your geospatial
knowledge and coding skills are strong, and you enjoy building new
skills. You'll be right at home here if you are organized,
cultivate strong relationships, and push yourself and our team to
be the best in class.Job Responsibilities
- Develop data workflows leveraging best-in-class methods to
classify terrain using LiDAR.
- Write maintainable spatial data processing code to analyze and
visualize point cloud date.
- Research, identify and consolidate geospatial data over large
geographical areas from multiple sources for input into
classification workflows (imagery, LiDAR, IMU and road, rail and
utility networks etc.).
- Develop algorithms and software (e.g. ArcMap AddIns, scripts,
tools etc.) to process geospatial data.
- Develop scripts to streamline work processes and automate
object/feature extraction and visualizations in user
- Maintain and improve existing C#.net codebase.
- Learn new geospatial platforms, programming languages, tools as
- Research new approaches to address geospatial data development
- Design data models and perform data analysis.
- Work with a team to establish spatial data standardization for
- Manage small and large image classification projects.
- Provide training and support to other team members.
- Understand and deliver on client expectations of our products
- Provide support and administration of data maintenance
activities. This position can be worked out of Charlottesville, VA
or Springfield, VA Business Area Rail Technologies Export Control
and Licensing This position may involve access to technology or
technical data that is controlled under U.S. export control laws
and regulations and the release of which to a foreign national may
require an export license from the U.S. Government. Qualifications
- MS/ Ph.D. in GIS/Remote Sensing/Data Science disciplines with
strong analytical skills and 3+ years of hands-on experience
working closely with geospatial data.
- Experience with railroad inspection and measurement systems
and/or railroad maintenance.
- Experience with machine learning, data science, and deep
- Experience with document management and/or configuration
control software. #LI-TC1 Contract Award Contingency No U.S.
Citizenship No Qualifications Required (Skills)
- BS in GIS/Remote Sensing/Data Science disciplines with strong
analytical skills, or equivalent, and 7+ years of hands-on
experience working closely with geospatial data.
- Proficiency with C#.net.
- Experience working with LiDAR data.
- Experience in point cloud and 3D graphics visualization.
- In depth knowledge of coordinate systems, projections, and
- Experience working with GPS and correction services.
- Experience with object-based image classification and spatial
- Background in mapping, localization, or object detection.
- In-depth knowledge of GIS solutions (e.g. ArcGIS Desktop,
ArcGIS Online) and Database Management Systems.
- Cloud Experience, for example AWS and Azure.
- Database experience including but not limited to MySQL, MS SQL,
- Strong technical aptitude, including the ability to quickly and
efficiently learn applications, systems, policies, and
- Proven ability to lead and manage multiple projects.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and communication
- Ability to work independently and be self-motivated.
- Significant experience in developing and maintaining mobile
mapping system software; Strength in Diversity ENSCO, Inc. and its
wholly owned U.S. subsidiaries are equal opportunity/affirmative
action employers, committed to diversity in the workplace. All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity,
sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected
veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under state
or local law.
Keywords: ENSCO, Charlottesville , Staff Software Engineer, IT / Software / Systems , Charlottesville, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!