Full-Time Business Manager (Jefferson-Madison Regional Library)
Company: City of Charlottesville
Posted on: May 3, 2021
- Position previously advertised, application deadline extended
to 5/7/2021 at 5:00 PM*
The hiring range for this position is $59,238.40 to $71,094.40
annually.Hours areMonday-Friday 8:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. but
candidatemust be flexible.
Responsible for performing a variety of administrative and
accounting functions for the Jefferson-Madison Regional Library.
Prepares, executes, and monitors the library budget under the
supervision of the library director. This position sources and
procures materials and supplies for the library system, coordinates
the maintenance and repair of buildings and grounds, prepares
library financial reports, and assists in the development of
regional library goals, objectives, policies, and procedures.
The manager interacts and negotiates with a variety of vendors
and providers. Communication is an important aspect of this
position as the manager serves as the library's liaison with the
City of Charlottesville facilities and finance departments and
vendors, and meets regularly with other library managers and staff.
The person in this position reports to the Library Director.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties
- Directs development, preparation, and justification of JMRL's
budgets (Operating, Equipment and Capital) under the supervision of
the Library Director. Responsible for the accounting of those
budgets each fiscal year.
- Performs complex administrative work for JMRL that requires
interpretation and judgment to include preparing the library's
budget (with the library director), monitoring, verifying and
depositing cash funds and other financial transactions.
- JMRL's business manager is a management-level position in
charge of the regional library physical plans.
- Coordinates maintenance, repairs, and upkeep of library
facilities with jurisdictional partners and outside agencies.
- Coordinates the acquisition, development and maintenance of
JMRL's facilities and capital improvements.
- Responsible for accounts payable and accounts receivable.
- Reviews financial status, prepares spreadsheets, reports and
- Serves as financial liaison with JMRL's fiscal agent, the city
of Charlottesville, which may include serving in a backup capacity
for time entry processing and recordkeeping.
- Prepares and keeps necessary information for annual audit and
reporting to the State Library (Bibliostat). Reviews drafts of
- Plans and supervises all accounting functions in JMRL.
- Advises Library Director on policy matters relating to JMRL
- Oversees the development of all contracts and cooperative
agreements in conjunction with JMRL's fiscal agent, the city of
- Serves as primary liaison with JMRL insurance provider,
including claims filing.
- Prepares and delivers shipments of supplies and equipment to
branches and/or directs others in doing the same.
- Coordinates surplus equipment disposition among all JMRL
branches and to the city's surplus warehouse.
- May serve as Acting Library Director in the absence of the
Director and Assistant Director.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education, Experience and Skills
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Must have at least 3-5 years of progressively responsible
related experience with bookkeeping, accounting, and records
- Budgeting experience required.
- Applicant must have a valid Virginia driver's license by
employment start date and a clean driving record.
- The ideal candidate for this position will have a Masters
degree in business or public administration.
Should demonstrate ability to lead, plan and supervise the work
of others; tact and courtesy; and have good professional judgment.
Record-keeping abilities. Knowledge of records-retention
requirements and principles. Good written and oral communication
skills. Familiarity with bookkeeping/accounting software and
Physical Conditions & Work Contacts
Work on occasion demands heavy physical effort in the handling
of materials, boxes, carts and equipment. Occasionally lifts and
handles items weighing up to 50 pounds; regularly bends, pushes,
Keywords: City of Charlottesville, Charlottesville , Full-Time Business Manager (Jefferson-Madison Regional Library), Other , Charlottesville, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!