Company: Southern States Cooperative, Inc.
Posted on: June 6, 2021
Performs a variety of customer service and business office
functions for a Southern States agronomy, farm supply, member
co-op, and/or petroleum location. This multi-level role ranges from
entry-level customer support and bookkeeping to senior-level
customer relations, office administration, and coordination of high
volume or large revenue orders. Retail business volume and number
of locations supported are factors in determining level.
Essential Job Functions (may vary based on location products and
- Assist management and staff, vendors, suppliers, customers,
sales team, and other business partners with inquiries regarding
daily operations. Provide timely information requiring knowledge of
SSC policies, orders, operations and current initiatives.
Communicate in a courteous and professional manner.
- Answer primary business phone and email account. Provide
information regarding order status, product availability, services,
and current initiatives.
- Contact customers via telephone to assist with issues and
questions about products and services.
- Maintain web pages for location (microsites) and assist
customers with their on-line portal.
- Open, sort, and distribute US mail and parcel deliveries.
Receive and process delivery tickets and work orders for a
variety of products and related services. Accurately enter order
information into the system and communicate details according to
location/company procedures. Schedule delivery and/or service
appointments for new and recurring orders.
- Effectively perform various office accounting functions and
system reconciliation according to established procedures. Support
accounts receivable billing. Generate and distribute invoices in a
timely manner. Enter and schedule accounts payable transactions to
authorized vendors and agencies. Verify incoming and outgoing
invoices for accuracy and pricing. Prepare, process, verify and
deliver daily bank deposits to financial institution.
- Prepare reports, spreadsheets, general correspondence, and
other material. Draft timely responses to all inquiries. Proofread
all materials for accuracy, spelling, grammar and layout. Ensure
accuracy and clarity of final copy.
- Maintain databases and master files from internal and external
sources. Organize and accurately maintain large volumes of
information including customer and inventory data. Regularly
communicate with central office and other counterparts to ensure
data integrity. Maintain confidential information relating to sales
documents, transactions, and credit records. Comply with all
policies and regulations regarding records storage.
- Perform checkout transactions as needed, utilizing point of
sale equipment including: cash registers, hand held scanners and
credit/debit card systems. Accurately handle cash and make change.
May perform exchanges, returns, discounts and markdowns.
- Proactively identify opportunities to assist customers and
facilitate efficient service. Assess the need for loading
assistance, resolve customer pricing and merchandise inquiries,
ensure merchandise is accessible to customers and offer assistance
- Support the inventory management process. Monitor inventory
levels in the system. Complete inventory after-counting to confirm
shortages or overages. Monitor and track inventory receiving.
- Maintain inventory of office supplies and place orders as
- Organize various events including conferences and meetings.
Coordinate event scheduling, invitations, reservations, print
materials, travel arrangements, and other event components.
- Assist management with administrative aspects of hiring and
onboarding new hires and temporary staff. Coordinate the employment
process with Human Resources and appropriate managers.
- Process payroll for location employees. Maintain payroll
records and assist employees with general questions.
- Support employees utilizing Knowledge Master Training. Maintain
database of training for compliance and development planning to
ensure employees are current on required training and
- Prepare documentation for travel reimbursement and corporate
credit card expenses.
- Consistently demonstrate teamwork by supporting customers and
coworkers. May provide assistance with a variety of functions to
support the team, including but not limited to: sales support,
scheduling and dispatching, warehouse inventory, customer vehicle
loading, and/or housekeeping.
- Work safely as to not cause harm to yourself, co-workers,
equipment, or inventory. Comply with OSHA Regulations, Southern
States Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) standards, work rules
- Perform all other job functions as assigned.
LEVELS II, III, IV -- Number of locations supported, location
business volume, qualifications, and requirements are factors in
Performs the above essential job functions as well as:
- For multiple locations or a single location with significant
business volume: provide comprehensive customer service and order
processing, sales and service support, accounting, and office
administration functions. Effectively apply operational expertise
to handle increasing complexity and business volume.
- Serve as liaison for external business partners (such as
Asmark). Coordinate with a diverse group of industry professionals
and corporate office contacts at various levels of the
organization. Attend meetings and provide input on behalf of the
location(s) as assigned.
- Resolve escalated and complex customer issues with skill and
diplomacy. Engage appropriate counterparts for resolution as
- Assist manager with DOT Files.
- Assist with various phases of collection on accounts
- May serve as a key holder and perform related functions in
accordance with safety and security policies.
- Perform all other job functions as assigned.
Requirements -- complexity of requirements increases with grade
- Effective knowledge of general accounting principles
- Able to consistently apply business office and operations
policies and procedures
- Able to develop and apply knowledge of SSC products, services,
and business systems
- Able to communicate with customers and counterparts in a
friendly, professional, and confident manner
- Able to communicate clearly and effectively in writing and
- Operational knowledge of office equipment and tools including
but not limited to fax machine, copier, printer, calculator,
telephone system, spreadsheets, forms, and point-of-sale
- Computer literacy skills to effectively utilize the business
systems and software including MS Office
- Able to perform mathematical calculations with accuracy
- Able to exercise discretion when working with sensitive and
- Able to complete paperwork, reports, and other documentation in
a legible, organized, and timely manner
- Effective organizational skills and attention to detail
- Able to prioritize and complete work within established
- Able to maintain a high level of professionalism
- Able to work in a fast paced team environment
- Able to work extended hours to meet business demands
- Able to speak, read, write the English language in a proficient
- Valid driver's license may be required
- Depending upon location, some travel may be required
Primarily performs essential job functions in an office
environment. Occasionally performs essential job functions in a
warehouse environment subject to seasonal temperatures and
May be exposed to hazards including:
- Merchandise, supplies and tools with sharp edges or containing
- Dust, odors, fumes and hazardous chemicals associated with
sales and storage of dry and liquid fertilizers, crop protectants
and other agricultural products
- Moving mechanical parts and vehicles, vibrations and electric
- Drafts, temperature changes and wet floors
- Noise levels where hearing protection is optional per PPE
Schedule requirements will vary based on location. Extended
hours and/or alternate work schedules may be required. Ability to
report to work on time and in adverse weather conditions is
Physical Activities & Requirements
- Continuously balance; manual dexterity (fingers and hands) to
manipulate, grasp, and handle, including repetitive motion; utilize
- Frequently sit, stand, walk, turn and twist head/neck and
- Occasionally, bend, climb, crouch, kneel, stoop, stack; reach
with arms and hands; stand and walk on concrete when in the
warehouse. Pull, push, lift, carry 10-35 pounds unassisted. Pull,
push, lift, carry 35-50 pounds, may be assisted.
Must be able to communicate with customers and counterparts
regarding financial matters and sales orders, operations, and
safety. Must be able to hear equipment and vehicle sounds in the
warehouse. Specific vision abilities required by this position
include: close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral
vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Keywords: Southern States Cooperative, Inc., Charlottesville , Bookkeeper, Other , Charlottesville, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!