Senior Instructional Designer, Arts & Sciences Learning Design & Technology department
Company: University of Virginia
Posted on: June 6, 2021
The University of Virginia Arts & Sciences Learning Design &
Technology department seek applicants for a Senior Instructional
Designer. Under the direction of the Director of A&S Learning
Design & Technology the incumbent will work with Foreign Language
and Social Science faculty to design and develop courses and
co-curricular learning experiences. In addition, the Senior
Instructional Designer will develop programming and events for the
Language Commons and research innovative technologies and pedagogy
for foreign language teaching and learning.
- In collaboration with LDT team, develop, promote, and lead
projects, initiatives, and communities of practice that engage
foreign language and social science faculty on the use of emerging
- Consult with foreign language and social science faculty on the
design and/or re-design of courses for on-site, flipped, and online
- Support faculty in the piloting and use of new technologies to
support their instructional goals.
- Communicate with key stakeholders on progress and outcomes of
- Assess the outcome of projects and initiatives utilizing
learning technologies by developing methodology.
- Collaborate with campus partners to develop plans for events to
be held in Language Commons, including but limited to, speaker
series, foreign language movie nights, talks among and across
- Coordinate with broader Learning Design & Technology team and
support personnel to organize and promote events.
- Create rationales and use cases for learning technologies and
disseminate information among College faculty.
- Identify needs and opportunities for faculty and staff
professional development related to learning technologies.
- Hire and manage student staff.
- Provide leadership and direction to student staff to enable
successful administration of Language Commons and associated
- Other duties may be assigned as needed.
- Bachelor's degree with at least three years' experience in an
educational environment using research-based best practices to
design and re-design on-site, flipped and online courses;
application of learning technologies in multiple delivery formats.
Relevant experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Some experience delivering instruction/training in an
- Some experience using technologies in instructional
- Master's degree in higher education or related field with
experience in foreign language pedagogy, course design and language
lab technologies is preferred.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills
- Expert level understanding of course design principles
- Knowledge of instructional technology trends and research
- Understanding of the role of foreign languages in a liberal
- Advanced knowledge of one or more languages taught at UVA.
- MS Office Suite, instructional technology tools and
applications; web 2.0 tools and applications
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to conduct and evaluate assessments.
- Evidence of successful experience designing courses and course
activities at the university or community college level
- Evidence of success in using Learning Management Systems and
other learning tools in a learning environment
- Knowledge of the UVA learning technology ecosystem, including
- Proficient in video conferencing platforms such as Zoom, Google
- ePortfolio platforms, Learning Management Systems, language lab
Apply online at https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs:
search for posting R0024892 (or through Workday for internal
applicants), complete the application, and attach the
- Please note that ALL REQUESTED documents MUST be uploaded in
the cv/resume box, and you can combine documents into one PDF.
- Cover letter addressing why you are interested in this
position, how your experience has prepared you, as well as
experience working with diverse populations and/or cultivating a
diverse, equitable, and inclusive culture in your work.
- Contact information for three references
Applications that do not have all the required documents will
not receive full consideration.*
Questions about this position should be directed to Judith
Giering at firstname.lastname@example.org. Questions about the application
process should be directed to Nicole Robinson, Faculty Search
Advisor at email@example.com.
The University will perform background checks on all new faculty
hires prior to making a final offer of employment.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System
which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and
Nursing, UVA Physician's Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences
Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our
faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing
itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences.
We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or
expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political
affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual
orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic
Keywords: University of Virginia, Charlottesville , Senior Instructional Designer, Arts & Sciences Learning Design & Technology department, Other , Charlottesville, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!