Responsible for conducting face to face sessions with patients
in order to complete thorough assessments develop treatment plans
and provide supportive counseling crisis intervention and brief
therapy. Provides clinical services (caseload can consist of
inpatients as well as family members on an individual couples and
- Provides direct social work service to patients and families
and/or patients by providing assistance with social and practical
- Provides emotional support to patients and families of patients
who may exhibit feelings of anxiety and stress precipitated by
illness and hospitalization. Conducts interventions based on needs
identified during initial assessment.
- Advocates for patient and family wishes when appropriate.
- Provides emotional support to patient and family during
- Educates patient and family on the intent of the intervention
- Informs care team patient and family of anticipated
- Maintains acceptable working knowledge of resources needed to
provide patients with continuity of care before and after
- Participates in in-service and staff development activities by
attendance serving on planning committees and/or offering topics
for pertinent educational programs.
- Documents all activities relevant to casework discharge
planning and follow-up in accordance with UVA and Social Work
Policy Procedure and Guidelines and regulatory requirements.
- Participates in education/research activities.
- Acts as liaison between the hospital and outside agencies/legal
authorities and referral sources.
- Provides individual counseling/problem solving sessions.
- In addition to the above job responsibilities, other duties may
Position Compensation Range: $22.39 - $35.82 Hourly
Education: Master's degree in Social Work from a CSWE accredited
social work program required.
Experience: No relevant experience required; Experience in the
social work field; experience in health care settings is
Licensure: Expectation to become Licensed Clinical Social Worker
(LCSW) guidelines found in departmental addendum located in
department competency file.
Job requires sitting for prolonged periods, standing/traveling
or use of assistive and climbing (stairs, steps). Proficient
communicative, auditory and visual skills; Attention to detail,
hear, speak, see, distinguish colors, read, ability to write
legibly; Ability to lift/push/pull < 20lbs. May be exposed to
chemicals, blood/body fluids and infectious disease.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System
which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and
Nursing, UVA Physician's Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences
Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our
faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing
itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences.
We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or
expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political
affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual
orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic