Hiring Coding & Billing Specialist - Advanced
Company: University of Virginia
Posted on: June 8, 2021
The incumbent is responsible for timely, accurate and
comprehensive abstraction of physician services from the medical
chart/record, utilizing appropriate CPT-4 procedure and ICD-10
- Reviews medical record documentation to identify all services
provided by physicians.
- Assigns appropriate CPT-4 procedure code(s) to accurately
report the physician services provided to patients
- Assigns appropriate ICD-10 diagnosis code(s) to accurately
support the need for each physician service.
- Assists with the submission of billing data to the University
of Virginia Physicians Group.
- Obtains and submits copies of medical documentation with
physician charges to support billing to third-party payors.
- Identifies physician services provided, but not adequately
documented in the medical record. Advises supervisor and clinicians
of deficiencies to support charge capture of all billing
- Analyzes and resolves physician claim rejects and denials from
the billing system or insurance carriers related to coding
- May assist with physician billing and documentation training in
daily interactions with physicians and other routine training
- May compile monthly reports as requested
- May identify trends/problems in medical documentation and
department request issue and recommends possible solutions
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS (Knowledge, Skills & Abilities):
- High School Diploma or GED
- Three years coding experience; or Professional Coding
Certification with one year coding experience.
- Incumbent must have knowledge of all billing through 6-month
training plus demonstrated knowledge of the respective specialty
(surgery; neurosurgery, etc.) area.
- Incumbent must have successfully completed the following
classes: Medical Terminology.
- Must successfully complete internal proficiency exam through
- Incumbent should have a working knowledge of CPT-4 and ICD-10
coding and modifier use.
- Knowledge and/or experience in a health care setting a
- In-depth knowledge of third-party payer reimbursement policies
and procedures a plus.
Knowledge and skills:
- Familiarity of personal computer operations.
- Basic knowledge of word processing and spreadsheet software
- Must have experience creating spreadsheets, reports, and trends
- Demonstrated knowledge and expertise in the use of the
reporting system to prepare reports as requested a plus.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System
which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and
Nursing, UVA Physician's Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences
Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our
faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing
itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences.
We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or
expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political
affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual
orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic
Keywords: University of Virginia, Charlottesville , Hiring Coding & Billing Specialist - Advanced, Other , Charlottesville, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!