Staff Software Engineer - Charlottesville
Posted on: September 15, 2019
ENSCO is seeking a LiDAR Software Engineer to lead the development
of new LiDAR geospatial products and solve GIS and LiDAR problems
for our visual mapping and localization products.-- ENSCO is on the
cutting-edge of rail inspection technology, providing
industry-leading--advanced solutions to the US and international
surface transportation markets.----
You are equal parts LiDAR geospatial analyst and software engineer.
You are someone who brings a good mix of geospatial and LiDAR
subject matter expertise with in-depth programming and engineering
skills. You are excited by the prospect of learning and
implementing new algorithms to improve classification workflows.
Your geospatial knowledge and coding skills are strong, and you
enjoy building new skills. You'll be right at home here if you are
organized, cultivate strong relationships, and push yourself and
our team to be the best in class.Job Responsibilities
- Develop data workflows leveraging best-in-class methods to
classify terrain using LiDAR.
- Write maintainable spatial data processing code to analyze and
visualize point cloud date.
- Research, identify and consolidate geospatial data over large
geographical areas from multiple sources for input into
classification workflows (imagery, LiDAR, IMU and road, rail and
utility networks etc.).
- Develop algorithms and software (e.g. ArcMap AddIns, scripts,
tools etc.) to process geospatial data.
- Develop scripts to streamline work processes and automate
object/feature extraction and visualizations in user
- Maintain and improve existing C#.net codebase.
- Learn new geospatial platforms, programming languages, tools as
- Research new approaches to address geospatial data development
- Design data models and perform data analysis.
- Work with a team to establish spatial data standardization for
- Manage small and large image classification projects.
- Provide training and support to other team members.
- Understand and deliver on client expectations of our products
- Provide support and administration of data maintenance
activities. This position can be worked out of Charlottesville, VA
or Springfield, VA
Want to learn more about working for ENSCO Rail?
Qualifications Required (Skills):
- BS in GIS/Remote Sensing/Data Science disciplines with strong
analytical skills, or equivalent, and 7+ years of hands-on
experience working closely with geospatial data.
- Proficiency with C#.net.
- Experience working with LiDAR data.
- Experience in point cloud and 3D graphics visualization.
- In depth knowledge of coordinate systems, projections, and
- Experience working with GPS and correction services.--
- Experience with object-based image classification and spatial
- Background in mapping, localization, or object detection.
- In-depth knowledge of GIS solutions (e.g. ArcGIS Desktop,
ArcGIS Online) and Database Management Systems.
- Cloud Experience, for example AWS and Azure.--
- Database experience including but not limited to MySQL, MS SQL,
- Strong technical aptitude, including the ability to quickly and
efficiently learn applications, systems, policies, and
- Proven ability to lead and manage multiple projects.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and communication
- Ability to work independently and be self-motivated.
- Significant experience in developing and maintaining mobile
mapping system software;
- MS/ Ph.D. in GIS/Remote Sensing/Data Science disciplines with
strong analytical skills and 3+ years of hands-on experience
working closely with geospatial data.
- Experience with railroad inspection and measurement systems
and/or railroad maintenance.
- Experience with machine learning, data science, and deep
- Experience with document management and/or configuration
control software. #LI-JV1
Drug Screen Type:
Contract Award Contingency:
Internal Position Title:
Staff Software Engineer
General Education/Years of Experience:
BS or equiv; min 7 yrs related exp
Background Check Type:
Export Control and Licensing:
This position may involve access to technology or technical data
that is controlled under U.S. export control laws and regulations
and the release of which to a foreign national may require an
export license from the U.S. Government.
ENSCO's ATE Division is recognized globally as a leading provider
of railway infrastructure inspection technology. Our products and
services are provided to governments and railways in more than 12
countries on five continents. ENSCO work helps prevent train
derailments and has a significant impact on the protection of human
life, the environment and the economy.
Our team of more than 145 staff supports leading-edge technology
projects in many exciting areas:
- Sensor systems integration: inertial, positioning (GPS/RFID),
laser scanners, imaging (line scan, area scan, thermal),
ultrasonic, ground penetrating radar, LIDAR
- Autonomous deployment of sensors, positioning systems and
wireless communications on active rail cars to inspect
- Machine vision algorithm development to detect conditions
traditionally inspected by humans
- Enterprise web-based data management systems to display, report
and conduct big data analytics ENSCO's ATE Division is an exciting
place to work and grow with many key benefits for technical staff,
- "Innovation Fridays:" Staff is given time to create and
experiment with new processes, best practices, and technologies in
- Involvement in all levels of the design and development
process: Significant experience is gained that is not always
available at larger companies that typically reserve serious
engineering tasks for more seasoned staff.
- Direct exposure to customer management, financial management
and business development. Working in ENSCO's Rail Division provides
a means to acquire a wide range of practical skills and experience
in a short period of time, work on exciting and ground-breaking
technology projects that impact transportation safety and offers
domestic and international travel opportunities if desired.ENSCO
provides a stimulating, collaborative, multi-discipline environment
with coworkers from diverse technical and cultural backgrounds
working together to make the world a safer place. Come join a
stable and growing company and experience the reward of seeing the
results of your work make a real impact on solving some of the
world's most challenging problems.
Strength in Diversity:
ENSCO, Inc. and its wholly owned U.S. subsidiaries are equal
opportunity/affirmative action employers, committed to diversity in
the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration
for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender
identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or
protected veteran status, or any other protected characteristic
under state or local law.
Keywords: ENSCO, Charlottesville , Staff Software Engineer - Charlottesville, Other , Charlottesville, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!