Preconstruction Specialist & Estimator
Company: R. E. Lee Companies
Posted on: November 9, 2019
Are you collaborative and strategic thinker with sound judgement?
Do you have commercial estimating and preconstruction experience
with a focus on supporting the client's vision by constructing
buildings that enhance our community? Within our family of
companies, you will experience a supportive and forward-looking
culture which recognizes the whole person and encourages
involvement in the community we have helped to build for four
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package
including: Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance; Voluntary
Short Term Disability; Company 401(k) Plan; Paid Time Off;
Holidays; Education & Training Opportunities;
As a mid-level Preconstruction Specialist & Estimator, you will:
- Prepare costs for early design concepts based on analysis of
historical cost data, relevant benchmarked projects, assumptions,
and project specific factors.
- Use sound judgment regarding market conditions, time to
complete, material and equipment expenses, trade contractor
capabilities, and risk management measures.
- Take a proactive approach to preconstruction efforts for Design
Build projects and for business development efforts including
project selection and proposal responses.
- Collaborate with internal and external project teams to build
productive and enduring relationships.
- Leverage technology systems to provide a unique client
experience; increasing client knowledge, improving communication
and increasing efficiencies.
- Plan, coordinate, and deliver multiple projects, developing
innovative ways of applying preconstruction specialty services to
address client needs, and proposing and implementing ideas for
continuous improvement of project planning services.
- Ensure adherence to our Safety for Life culture by anticipating
general safety hazards in the scope of work.
This position provides a great opportunity for you to grow with our
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Construction
- Successful completion of classes, training or experience in
cost estimating, cost modeling, cost engineering, and
constructability, and ability to demonstrate knowledge and
- 8 - 10+ years of preconstruction, conceptual and general
estimating, cost engineering and modeling experience.
- At least 4 years of recent preconstruction and conceptual
estimating experience of projects $2.0 million and larger. Ability
to conceptualize and produce preliminary budgets from a narrative,
without design documents.
- Solid technical knowledge of building construction means,
methods and systems including complete understanding of all trades
and work disciplines; familiarity with resources for maintaining
- Ability to read, understand and interpret building plans,
construction contracts and project specifications.
- Field experience in addition to conceptual estimating
- Ability to successfully balance multiple projects while
providing on-demand services.
- Strong and consistent communication skills, including emotional
awareness, active listening, respectful language, constructive
feedback, and collaborative problem solving.
- Ability to build productive and enduring relationships through
open collaboration within the project planning group, field
operations teams, and with design teams and clients.
- Proficient with Office 365 (Excel, Project, Word, Outlook) and
tools used in preconstruction such as Procore, Blue Beam and
OnCenter Software for managing estimate information. Ability to
achieve proficiency with new technology solutions.
- Demonstrate a learning orientation. Willing to pursue related
educational and training opportunities with intellectual curiosity
for job performance improvement on an on-going basis, and to openly
share knowledge and discuss concepts with appropriate members of
the project team.
- Exhibit a strong safety focus; belief that the safety and
health of all employees is not just about compliance, but about
ensuring that everyone makes it home safely every day. Has
knowledge to identify general safety hazards anticipated for the
scope of work they are bidding and incorporate costs to provide
preventative and protective measures into estimates.
R. E. Lee & Son is an equal opportunity employer.
Keywords: R. E. Lee Companies, Charlottesville , Preconstruction Specialist & Estimator, Professions , Charlottesville, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!